Sunday, December 19, 2010

Exit from Commercial street

While roaming around in Commercial street, Vattu phoned me to say he will be reaching Majestic by 3:30. I glanced at my watch to find it was already well past afternoon. Except for a tea, my tummy was empty and was groaning for food. Vattu would be having his usual quota from Kentucky or McDonald. He has always been crazy about the hapless chicken and much more crazy about the Colonel Sander’s Chicken. Once he nearly fell in love with a girl who loved to eat her chicken raw.

I wanted to try some authentic Kannada lunch. Be a Kannadiga while in Karanataka. I walked around to find a Muslim restaurant. Muslim food outlets are famed for their non-vegetarian delicacies. I got in and then realized I don’t have much idea on any cuisine in particular. But there is always chicken biriyani, which has its own authenticity all over India. Wherever the Biriyani has travelled it has reincarnated in a different form.

The chicken Biriyani that arrived was very different from the one I have been acclaimed to. The Mallus put a lot of leaves, nuts and raisins to make their Biryani fragrant. We liberally take the Raitha (curd salad) to go with it. But the Kannada Biriyani seems to have a big bowl of rice with a huge piece of half boiled chicken and some chilly gravy to go with it. I have a sensitive stomach, and was very reluctant to make our stay in Bangalore unbearable to the sole companion Vattu. So I gulped down a few handful of rice, ate the whole chicken.

The witty part came during the payment time. It was so easy to gulp down a few handful of rice compared to getting the change from waiter. He seemed so reluctant in peeling off the notes from his pocket.

I was rushing back to the exit of street, to catch Vattu on time. That was when I stumbled on the church at the edge of Commercial street. It looked so beautiful and serene. There were many faithful around seeking blessings. Serenity in the middle of the mad rush, was a nice surprise. I went in when my shopping bag broke loose spilling all my newly acquired earthly possessions to the ground. I had a tough time arranging them back in.

I managed to get a few photos and said a prayer to the dear Lord that I would survive my time in Bangalore with out any major stomach bug.

I got a bus back to Majestic, with two fatsos on either side. I was fighting off a much needed nap. I tied my bag strings and camera strap tightly to my arms and surrendered myself to sleep.

3 comments:

Pesto Sauce said...

Banaglore used to have good eating outlets...check out biryani at Empire. Also I recall Shogun, Rice Bowl and Casa Picolla....good fare

Unknown said...

hey,i dont know why ur comments on my page disappears...do u wait till ur comment gets posted cauz i did not activate comment moderation on my blog..:)


Heard banglore is famous for good food...:P MTR i guess??

Anonymous said...

Trust you did survive without any diasterous effects on your stomach.

About Me

My photo
Shakespeare,Da Vinci, Benjamin Franklin and Lincoln never saw a movie,heard a radio or looked at TV. They had loneliness and knew what to do with it. Thay were not afraid of being lonely because they knew that was when the creative mood in them would work.