Saturday, January 8, 2011

My encounters with species of a different kind

My dad wanted to make a doctor out of me. His sole aim was the social status that went along with the initials ‘Dr’. Sadly I was real bad in mugging up the fine details related to human anatomy. I had nightmares of mixing up prescriptions, surgeries, etc. in some years I made peace with myself and dad- the ‘Dr’ was not meant for me.

It was the final year in school. A period when we will have to decide the course related to our career. I was travelling home in a crowded transport bus. I clumsily stepped on an old man. He was barefoot and let out a loud wail. It must have been the pain, mucous came out of his nose. He was wailing about his inability to treat his leg and the huge cost involved in the ‘tests’. I couldn’t even mutter sorry. I quietly walked away. But this incident shook me enough to arrive at a decision that I am too soft hearted for a doctor.

Gigi and Dervi were my class mates in those years. They were exact opposites in terms of money and brilliance. Dervi hailed from a family that ran a successful business. He was so pampered that he had no clue on how others survived. His dad decided to start a clinic to bolster his already fledging pharmaceutical business. He also decided that his only son was going to be the chief doctor one day. The dad payed a hefty fee to put his son into a medical college. Dervi fell in love with a beautiful girl many years junior too him. He created history in the history of medicine by failing repeatedly. But that turned out to be good for him, when he joined his girlfriend’s batch and they decided to do their foray in medicine together. Dervi’s dad still waits for his son to graduate and take up the reins of the clinic

Gigi came from a relatively simple background. His Mom passed away and dad had a weak heart. But he was very good in his studies. With some hard work, he got into the same college as Dervi. Recently he called me up for his marriage. He was marrying a rich girl and managed to get the latest model of Toyota as a gift from his dad in law.

It doesn’t matter if you become a doctor through your hard work or your dad’s deep pocket. It’s the place you can rake in lots of money. Some may argue that medicine is a social service. But why should Medicine alone be a service. When rest of the world is after money, wouldn’t it be unfair for the doctors to restrain themselves?
Last week I decided to pay a visit to my friend’s dad. He had developed numerous complications and there was only his old wife to look after him and she had her own health problems. I took along a newly graduated doctor friend, Tharun. I had known him for a long time. The way in which he dealt with the old man and his wife was a lesson to watch. He patiently inquired and learnt the actual issues. Just like us he wasn’t too sympathetic. But he generated such positive vibes that the old woman felt so much assured after our visit.

Medicine needn’t be just brilliance alone. It’s a bit of heart, lots of experience and willingness to learn.

5 comments:

Pesto Sauce said...

I could have never been a Doctor in my life though many of my friends are. Some medical colleges have a spoilt atmosphere; see Summer 2007 to understand more

Renu said...

very thoughtful post..I also believe that medicine is more about heart..I have always avoided even famous doctors who were rude and unsympathetic to patients.

Pesto Sauce said...

Summer 2007 is a movie about medical students who end up fighting farmer suicides. First half succintly captures ill-ways of medico students in which girls casually sleep around with friends, boob sizes are discussed, new means of protection are talked etc

One of my friends did his medicine from a famous college down south and he always boasted how all boys and girls had fun since anatomy was all they studied

Siddhartha Joshi said...

Hmmm...quite true.

And very frank post as well :)You think Gigi and Dervi would ever visit your blog!

Jon said...

Sid, I have juggled with few letters from their names, so They wont recognise...and docs are bad readers too!

About Me

My photo
Shakespeare,Da Vinci, Benjamin Franklin and Lincoln never saw a movie,heard a radio or looked at TV. They had loneliness and knew what to do with it. Thay were not afraid of being lonely because they knew that was when the creative mood in them would work.