Thursday, March 24, 2011

An ode to my college and friends- How I miss you

My younger brother demanded if he could get a rid shirt and yellow tie. I asked him what the hell was that for.
‘Demo Week’

I smiled. Memories rolled back to 4 years.
When years go on, the good memories would turn sweeter. We would wish the days to come back to us. But they never will. We would then vehemently argue that we had the greatest years in college. The tune of ‘Summer of ‘69’ will start playing out in our mind.

‘Demo Week’ is the celebration in one of the last weeks of final year of your graduation. May be it’s because we convince ourselves that the days are going to be the last days of unabashed fun in our life. So people come out in all kinds of fancy clothes and do all kinds of crazy stuff. The lecturers close their eyes towards all the raucous and smile at the good time the kids are having. And of course no one attends the classes. We roam around the college taking in eyeful of the sights we might not see again.

I browsed through the attic in my computer and fetched a few snaps of great times I had. Here are the few snaps I am going to relive with you.







This is the trophy we won for the inter college cricket tournament. And we beat our arch rivals. I still remember the hot and sunny afternoon. We only could manage a small total. And they had some great batsmen. But our boys maintained a straight line and when Mudiyan Anish came up with a stunning running catch, we were all over the ground. The celebrations and parade continued all over the college. But this was followed by a disappointment in football finals the next week.








These are some of our batch mates. Many have moved to different parts of the world (we mallus are good in migrating). Boys have grown fatter and balder. A few of them have fallen in love and married, fallen in love and waiting to get married, married and fell in love and some even got dumped. The guy in the centre who is poking the head in joined the Air Force. He dreamed of becoming a la Tom Cruise (remember Top Gun). He has ended up striving to finish his liquor quota in the barracks. A few migrated to UK for higher studies and found out that the English have no jobs. A few turned to teaching. And few, I simply don’t know where!








This was the bard of out class. A simple and very religious guy. He used to break into a song so easily and used to sing in the typical folk style. A very lovely guy. Now making his living somewhere in the sands of Arabia.







Now this was the guy to watch out for. He had a very beautiful lady love and he went around boasting her beauty. He used to sing for hours for her though the phone. We used to wonder if he had some free phone schemes. We admired her tenacity to survive his torture for hours. One day we came up with a funny hoax. One guy moved to the next room and called him up claiming he was from TV. They had come to know his crooning skills. He was asked to hum a few numbers. He sang on for hours, in all sincerity singing every song he knew in all kind of pitches.


An attempted rape!!!!



Here we are posing with our nemesis. They used to be there in the next room. The football and cricket matches we had with them enjoyed great rivalry.




This was our divine child. He was conspicuous for his thinness. And he used to challenge the fattest for a fight. He was the best punching bag in our class. And we used to come up with all sorts of joke on him. He graduated, worked very hard and now is in an enviable position.





This was our Head of Dept. He is one of the best professors in our city. A very lovable and sincere man. How much did we enjoy his classes.

This was our theme for the demo week-‘The thieves and the police’. We used to barge into every classroom. The girls shrieked out in horror. I think the black is from the shoe polish. The guy on the left most is a famous blogger. I challenge you guys to find out who. I will be kind enough to dispense with a clue- he is there in the blogs I follow.

So SCT College I miss you, I miss you my friends. The days I had with you, will be a treasure!

6 comments:

Alka Gurha said...

Nostalgic...pictures say it all....

Anonymous said...

I think the first couple of years after you leave college are tough because suddenly the harsh realities of "real life" kick in. The work place is never quite the same because everyone is different ages and at different stages in their lives ... I like to think that my best times haven't arrived yet though - gives me something to look forward to.

simply me said...

the famous blogger is http://crusadertvm.blogspot.com/ :D :D

sm said...

fun pics
We would wish the days to come back to us.
yes everyone wants that

Anonymous said...

I think you'll want to place a twitter icon to your website. I just marked down this url, although I had to make this manually. Simply my $.02 :)

Jon said...

Well inspired by u, I have started a twitter account and shared a link. Very premature though. Care to gimme ur name?

@sm ...u r very right :)

About Me

My photo
Shakespeare,Da Vinci, Benjamin Franklin and Lincoln never saw a movie,heard a radio or looked at TV. They had loneliness and knew what to do with it. Thay were not afraid of being lonely because they knew that was when the creative mood in them would work.