Wednesday, April 6, 2011

UST

Three years is not a very long time. It’s a very short time for you to work somewhere, know someone, fall in love, see your dreams shattered. 3 years is not a very significant part of your life. But when you suddenly let go off a life that you had get used to for 3 years, there is a gamut of emotions flowing through you.

I joined UST straight out of college. UST is a mid sized company that has pretensions of a big one. Although UST is not the greatest place to work in, I had grown so comfortable there. I had got so used to pretensions and shoddiness that I feel so insecure when I leave. But the only thing that doesn’t change in life is change!

The biggest regret I will be carrying out of the place is I couldn’t cultivate a band of friends. I am not much of a social animal and I think thrice before I plan to give a treat. So there is not going to be any more ‘get in touches’. Probably in a few months I would completely forget about UST.

3 years ago I didn’t have much clue on the ‘Corporate’ culture except in the films. I worked in a place where ‘the corporate’ reincarnated with all its ugliness. Thankfully I didn’t have to be the victim of the hypocrisy. This was the place where I learnt the ‘Values & Culture’ are a common phenomenon preached by all and practiced by none. I am still to get 25k bucks from the company and have no clue on it till date. It’s a great fallacy that the private sector is free of corruption while the government offices reek of the stink.

I also had my share of heart break and subsequent retrospection. The experience was valuable considering the fact that I learnt an invaluable lesson- Women are not what we see from the outside.

Hard work and sincerity may be rewarding in your moral science classes. But in a corporate world these qualities could land you in trouble. There would be plenty of times when you’ll have to kick your ethics to background and let the head do your talking. The concept of getting rewarded according to your merit is a poor sham. Individual merit can be rewarded in examinations. But for a team, individual brilliance takes the second place.

I would be taking all these lessons to a place where I will have to interact more with the public. A welcoe change from the closed cubicles! But I will have to adjust to the 6 day weeks

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

MY first job in the big wide world lasted about 3.5 years, what you say here rings a big bell! With me it was my first interaction with adults (I guess apart from parents, family teachers etc), let me say more where adults treated me as one of them. I have fond memories of the place but no more than that.
Good Luck in your new post!

Renu said...

You sound very bitter.because the lessons you are saying are nothing but hurts..life is not like that.

Wishing you good luck and better environment and people in your new job!!!

Jon said...

no not at all bitter but yes am realistic. It s a rare chance to get into a lovely environment

simply me said...

hey all the best for ur new adventure :) :)

About Me

My photo
Shakespeare,Da Vinci, Benjamin Franklin and Lincoln never saw a movie,heard a radio or looked at TV. They had loneliness and knew what to do with it. Thay were not afraid of being lonely because they knew that was when the creative mood in them would work.