Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Extinction of Samosa



So I go to the juice shop next door early morning. It has been a practice for years. The sweet mango shake and spicy samosa- an odd combination with morning collection of newspapers. But today there seemed to be no samosa. I waited for sometime to see if it is going to arrive.
In the end I asked him, ‘Where’s the samosa , chetta?’

“ We can’t no longer afford it’. The same old story of cooking gas cylinder. My heart sank. Ever since the Indian government found out that the mango man is eating too much of cooked food local delicacies are disappearing from the shelves. No one can any longer afford them, it seems.

Still, we get to see all those junk stuff wrapped in attractive colours adorning the shelves. Not so long ago, say 12-13 years ago, we never considered biscuits as a snack.  It was an insult to serve the guests with biscuits. But today you get so many varieties of biscuits that are so attractive and delicious. Call it development? I don’t know. 

Similarly we have been taught to believe that bottled soda water is safer than wayside lemon juice shop. Over the years, they have disappeared of the shelves. At the height of thirst you’re forced to drink the colored soda water at horrible prices. 

Just the other day i was reading on how our food habits have changed dramatically. A food culture started off, glorifying local cuisines and posh hotels. Movies are made based on food. Cookery shows top the chart in TV shows. The result is we have more and more fancy , crowded eat-outs. The cooking habit totally disappeared. A few years ago it indicated serious dysfunctionality when you went out for a family dinner.

I remember grumbling about not having tasted ‘hamburger’. Over the years I did taste many hamburger, noodles, hot-dogs. But given a choice I would prefer a simple home cooked meal.

3 comments:

simply me said...

indeed Home cooked food is the best food :) :)

Pesto Sauce said...

Sad samosas are not available, I always loved them

sarah toa said...

I agree with your last sentence ... I think perhaps this happens all over the world. Packaged 'garbagey' food is so much cheaper than good, home cooked food it seems. So sad.

About Me

My photo
Shakespeare,Da Vinci, Benjamin Franklin and Lincoln never saw a movie,heard a radio or looked at TV. They had loneliness and knew what to do with it. Thay were not afraid of being lonely because they knew that was when the creative mood in them would work.