Thursday, August 26, 2010

Onam again

Onam seems to be the national festival of all Keralites. Even at a time when the divisiveness in the name of religion becomes more and more apparent, all Mallus get together to celebrate Onam.

At this time of year every school, college and institution sets apart a day to celebrate. The men arrive adorned in Mundu and women in Kasavu saris. Then a floral decoration is made and called pookkalam.

I had the celebration at the gym and the office on the same day. Our instructor, Nixon, requested, cajoled and threatened everyone for their contributions. Many fished from the purses but the price of flowers had shot up. At the end we did a pookkalam awfully displaying our poverty.

I appointed myself as the photographer. I arrived at the gym early morning only to find preparations halfway begun. Some lovely kids had been called from an orphanage. They arrived dressed very neatly in their school uniforms. It was so serene to watch them looking around in bewilderment.

As usual some police bigwigs were the chief guests of the day along with two cine actors. The programme kick started with a few songs and dances from the fellow gym members. A gift kit was given to the little kids.

As I stood watching them a tide of emotions swept through. I wonder what they would be dreaming of. With no one to call their own, what their picture of tomorrow will be. I wanted to dive into their hearts and see for myself their fears and insecurities. But we take them as a show case material for our large heartedness.

I went home with what Madhupal said. ’Our Onam has become sweet memories for us. We dream of our childhood and villages- things that are not going to comeback.
Let’s try to create sweet Onams for our little ones to remember’

I have posted the pics too...

7 comments:

Unknown said...

i love the festival..pookolam is like super cool u know?? I have witnessed this entire thing in KOCHI a couple fo years back!!

Like u said,let bring happy fesivities to the next gen!!

Onam nalvaazthukkal!

Mingled Minds said...

talking bout children...had recently seen a video bout the children, how they r living in the under developed countries (sudan, somalia etc)...have been crying everytym i pray to god..its tym we count our blessings...

Purba said...

I love wearing Kasavu saris and dig Kerala's cuisine. Think I was a Mallu in my previous birth.

Anonymous said...

Jon - I am ashamed to say that I have not heard of this celebration before but I enjoyed your post. Like festival time in all religions we suddenly remember those less fortunate but the rest of the year we close our hearts to them. I wish the feeling of largesse was with us all the time.
I loved your photographs

Jon said...

@Madhu
Pookkalam is supposed to be done by collecting flowers from the fields and gardens. Sadly that has also become a consumer affair for which we depend on Tamil Nadu
@MM
Very rite

Jon said...

@purbs
I heard my Northie friend say that too..Kasavu makes even the ordinary look beautiful

@butterfly...rightly said

Sands | കരിങ്കല്ല് said...

.

About Me

My photo
Shakespeare,Da Vinci, Benjamin Franklin and Lincoln never saw a movie,heard a radio or looked at TV. They had loneliness and knew what to do with it. Thay were not afraid of being lonely because they knew that was when the creative mood in them would work.