Thursday, July 2, 2009

Donate Life....

Despite my fiery blogging, I am a really sweet, sensitive person.
I have been to Regional Cancer Centre, Trivandrum a few times. Seeing those beautiful kids with masks over them and shaved heads, I always wonder what if I was in that place. Cancer is something that will drain a middle class both financially and emotionally. The duty of rest of us is to support them in whatever way possible.
People who are going to suffer most are the ones coming from distant parts. Most of the cancer patients will need 15-29 bottles of blood daily. These people may not know anyone in the city. Lodging is another problem. An average person will not be able to stay in a rented place throughout and the patient may need good food too. So NGOs came in to the scene willing to help them. Most NGOs were started with good intentions. But later religious fundamentalist organization found an opportunity for religious propagation. So today except a few all the NGOs are barred from entering the premises of RCC.
For these people facing an uncertain future, the biggest gift we can give is hope. Another equally important gift is life. Life through blood donation.
I had this awareness throughout. But boy, I was afraid of this injections and dark red blood. I was called up for some genuine cases but was too frightened to take the big step. Once using all my courage I went to a hospital, but group turned out to be wrong. ‘Thank God’ this was the first reaction that went through my mind.
During college days requests regularly came up. I would have been waiting eagerly, with all the summoned up courage to donate blood. But when the request is announced not a single muscle in my body would move. Deep freeze!!!!!!!! As the people leave I would console myself ‘Next time’.
Days went by. I became a graduate. Once this social activist friend of mine called me up and asked if I was willing to donate blood. Willing??? Of course, I am but I can’t and how am I going to tell him that. Thousands of excuses crossed my mind. ‘Alright now or never’ I set out with him. Friend of mine who knew it was my first time constantly pumped me with encouragement. I got in there. Many where waiting for their turn. All the nurses were so friendly. When the time came to fill up the questionnaire I was looking out if I had any of the diseases mentioned. Tough luck!!! I was in perfect condition to give blood. As I lay in bed a nurse was walking around with a long scissor. I was thinking ‘ Is she going to cut the veins using that’. I was bewildered and looked around. My friend seeing my predicament laughed and said it is for some other purpose.
Surprisingly I didn’t face much pain when they inserted the needle. I closed my eyes. A nurse came up and announced ’It is over’. (So soon. No wait, I have got some more to give.) They kept asking me if I was feeling dizzy. I started getting confused ‘Am I supposed to feel dizzy?’
Anyways guys everything went on smoothly. I even went around in hot sun for some shopping. I didn’t collapse. I said to myself ‘Next time I will be more willing as the first time jitters are over.’



In our company requests for blood donation comes through intranet and there are regular blood donation camps even. But each time I was feeling more and more frightened. I managed to call some people, who had raised a request, in the numbers given. They said thanks and said they will call me up the next day. I prayed ‘Lord please I am not ready’.
One day my friend KT asked me if I am willing to donate. I said I was 200% willing. He said he will call me up soon. I was praying ‘Oh no, God please not me’.
Then the last day he messaged me again if I was willing. Again with all the courage I said ok. He asked me to wait downstairs. I went with three other willing donors in a car. There was another guy who was doing it for the first time. I thought that at least for his sake I have to pretend that I am brave.
While donating there was a guy who was lying next to me. He said he thought his needle was not balancing. That nurse said that it is fine and then suddenly blood oozed out. That guy was cool. But I was not. I couldn’t decide if I should lie with eyes closed or open. (Open to see if my blood was oozing out or not.)
Anyways this time too donation happened without any incident. But seeing the plight of that poor father running around searching for 20 donors in this unknown land struck the tender chords of our heart. The patient was a 35 year old woman with kids. Her husband on learning that she had cancer abandoned her in her parent’s home. He was a daily wage laborer. Her old parents are looking after her.

So guys if any of you get a chance ‘Don’t think…Grab it…Help make world a better place’
Cheeeeers

2 comments:

Praveen said...

to tell u the truth, I haven't donated blood until now..Guess have to do it atleast after reading this..
yes, am still scared like you were once..

Rakesh Vanamali said...

I never was scared of donating blood and have done it on a number of ocassions! I think it is a very humanitarian cause to be associated with!

About Me

My photo
Shakespeare,Da Vinci, Benjamin Franklin and Lincoln never saw a movie,heard a radio or looked at TV. They had loneliness and knew what to do with it. Thay were not afraid of being lonely because they knew that was when the creative mood in them would work.