Monday, July 27, 2009

The Moment...........


There is a phrase ‘The moment of my career’ that a professional hears every second day of his life. The moment which is claimed to be the turning point of his career.
The moment of my career is the moment I got my enlightening. Unlike Gautama Buddha I was sitting in a conference room when I received my enlightenment.
We have a HR representative for our team. They are supposed to address our concerns and get the best possible output from us.
A meeting is called to find out if we have any concerns. Like HRs around the world these people was brimming with energy and enthusiasm, expecting some of that will rub up on us as well. The meeting supposed to be an open forum where people can throw in their questions around the room.
This is when the fun starts. Right before opening the floor this HR hot shot comes up with a really valid and intelligent point. ‘All the concerns must be reported through your manager. Your manager must know all your problems. He is responsible to solve all your concerns’. Pause… Punch dialogue: ’You must consider your manager as your father. He will show you the right career path to take and help you grow’.
I could not decide if I am supposed to laugh. Since I did not want to be thrown out, I sat there, laughing silently with contempt at myself.
All throughout a professional’s life his biggest issue is his manager. Since we cannot raise an issue to an issue (in other words we cannot complain about a problem to the problem, can we?) 90% of our concerns were resolved even before the meeting started. Please accept my standing ovation, Madame.
The floor was thrown open. Pin drop silence. Every one of us sat around with expression that says we are the most happiest and contended lot in the universe. In reality no one wanted to get ourselves in deep shit by raising an issue about some small shit. Then a guy asked ‘Will we get a salary hike this year (at least)?’
A somber mood came over. We looked expectantly at her. After a few sentences of gibberish ‘We had a wonderful performance in Q!, but Q2 did not turn out that great. So there is no hike this year too’. Pin drop silence again. I looked around the room. It would be difficult to say what went around every one’s mind. But everyone was grinning at each other as if ‘Someone just gave me a good f**k but I don’t know who’.
From the best possible information I have it has been almost 3 years since a solid hike has been given. In effect people with 3 years experience more than me would be earning only a couple of thousand bucks more than me.


A Metallica songs rings in my ears
Master of puppets pulling your strings,
Twisting your minds. Smashing your dreams.
.........................................................................
Come crawling faster…Obey your master’


Years ago I saw a movie ’The Shawshank Redemption’. The system has turned us in to such puppets that we are unable to survive outside the system. . You are used and squeezed to make you useless for anything else. Ultimately you have no bargaining power and you end up being satisfied with the crumbs. Either be a part of the system or end up in its fringes.

No comments:

About Me

My photo
Shakespeare,Da Vinci, Benjamin Franklin and Lincoln never saw a movie,heard a radio or looked at TV. They had loneliness and knew what to do with it. Thay were not afraid of being lonely because they knew that was when the creative mood in them would work.